RRP $7000 : Model 2016
Summary of Bike
- Brose 250W integrated mid-drive motor. 460Wh Battery integrated into the frame.
- Trail geometry and increased handling with the 650B X 3.0 tyres.
- Integrated app available that can customise the bike to any riders needs.
- The bike is a trail capable powerful well spec’d bike for the price.
Recommended use: Mountain
Warranty: 2 Years Motor and Battery, Lifetime Frame
Model Year: 2016
Motor type/output: Mid-Mounted Geared Motor/250 watts
Motor Brand: Brose, Trail Tune
Motor Torque: 90 Newton meters
Battery: 460 wh Lithium-ion
Estimated Range: 48 km – 90 km
Top Speed: 25 km/hr
Total Weight: (Large) 22.6 kg
Frame Material: M5 Premium Aluminium
Fork: Rock Shox Reba 15mm axle
Chain: KMC X10, 10-speed, w/ reusable MissingLink
Shifter: SRAM GX, 10-speed, trigger
Cranks: Custom Praxis, steel 1×10 32T ring, 104 BCD spider
The Specialized Turbo Levo HT Comp 6Fattie is a trail capable electric bike from the brand that has built its reputation on innovation and design in the bike industry. The choice to use a Brose motor drive is a sound one given the ability to integrate the system into the Specialized chassis. The frame has been cleverly designed to not have a bolt on part to mount the motor but a full cast frame to suit the motor giving it strength and allowing the traditional designs with short chainstays create an amazing riding bike. This bikes climbs well with the powerful motor and the big tyres give it unreal grip. The boost hubs on the wheels give stiffness and allow the rims to be wider as well as allowing for the option of fitting a boost hub, 29 rimmed wheel mounted into the same frame.
We have tested this bikes on the trails around Taupō with amazing results. You could climb up even the steepest trails using less effort and having more fun than many other e-bikes we have ridden. We put this down ot the powerful 90 Nm motor and the grip in the tyres. The 1 x 11 GX groupset works well and the dropper seatpost is an added advantage when you head downhill. The decents aren’t as fast as a fully suspended mountainbike but they are close. It will be interesting to compare the decent times on this with those on the fully version.
Some simple things we loved are:
- It fits a full sized water bottle and has the SWAT tool underneath.
- There is no clutter on the handlebar so you just ride
- The mission control app can change how you ride when you are with your mates or while you are alone and then you can play with it to customise the ride.
- It looks awesome in matt black.
There aren’t many downsides other than fitting them on to a bike rack. If you have a pair of them and anything bigger than a medium you have to go to a wider Thule or Yakima plus tyre rack to hold them easily on a vehicle. Other than the above we think these bikes are the best in class.